The MASH team has just heard the fabulous news that our community solar bulk-buys will be receiving a Community Environment award at Environment Victoria’s 2018 AGM on 31 October.
The award is “For repowering central Victoria with over one thousand solar installations and for their dynamic community engagement,” said Mark Wakeham, CEO of Environment Victoria.
MASH (the campaign for More Australian Solar Homes) is a community solar bulk-buy for households. It was launched in mid 2014 as an initiative of the Hub Foundation, founded by Neil and Heather Barrett, with the first installations taking place in September 2014.
“We’re rapt!” said Jo Kaptein, manager of the MASH community bulk-buy, as well as it’s sister, the Hepburn Solar Bulk-Buy. “It’s always good to celebrate and we couldn’t have done it without the support of so many people and organisations. Thank you to everyone who’s been part of our story.”
Environment Victoria say that all are welcome to attend their AGM. So if you would like to join the MASH team at the awards night, RSVP here.
MASH* results since Sept 2014 to now:
- 1150 MASH solar homes adding 5.3MW of solar (with around 20,000 solar panels installed!)
- CO2 emissions cut by around 8,400 tonnes/yr (around 1700 less cars on our roads)
- Household electricity bills cut by around $1M/yr.
- Raised over $70,000 for free solar for community groups and schools.
- More local jobs – We currently have three local installation companies working full-time on our bulk-buys. They are working under contract to Energy Matters, our solar supplier. In addition, we have around six people based in Mount Alexander Shire who are working on MASH, either part-time, casual or as freelancers in customer service, admin and project management roles.
MASH is available in the Mount Alexander Shire, Macedon Ranges Shire and City of Greater Bendigo. MASH’s sister bulk-buy – the Hepburn Solar Bulk-Buy – is available in the Hepburn Shire. MASH will shortly be launched in new regions across central Victoria starting with Swan Hill.
MASH is now being hosted by the not-for-profit Central Victorian Greenhouse Alliance.
*includes results from the Hepburn Solar Bulk-Buy which was launched in April 2018.